Sunday, June 19, 2011

Big Format Picture




1. Techno-Town (24x36)
2. 6.3.11 @ 8.45PM Rexburg, Idaho
3. Canon Powershot SX120IS, Aperture Priority, f/4.3, Shutter Speed: 1/320 sec
4. Adjustment layer > Filter: Cutout (@ 7,1,2) > Poster Edges (2,1,6) > reduced opacity and fill on the left chimney and middle building to about 75% > sharpened these parts to define bricks and other details > Size of image and then crop
5. After sorting through the huge stack of images that I have taken this semester, I kept coming back to this one. I realize that it is a little out of the norm, but I loved this picture and felt that it would be something that I would not mind in my abode. I like that it is a little more stylized than most, but I like it.
As for my photographic technique... I was strolling around Rexburg on my way back into town when in the distance, I saw something that was not quite what I thought of Rexburg as. So I pulled out my camera and quickly made sure that I was on decent settings and then I zoomed... quite a bit (55.9mm). I tried to capture the essence of what I saw. I figured that while the picture itself did not really cause any heads to turn, this could be a picture that I could make into something.
When I took it into Photoshop, I saw it in my mind's eye. I kind of knew what I wanted, but I was willing to try some different stuff. I wanted to make it look more like paint, but with the cutout filter by itself, it lost tons of the detail that I appreciated about the original picture. However, I knew what I was looking for, so I went back to the poster edges and gave it back just that bit of detail that I wanted. Some still looked a little more interesting than I had anticipated, so I reduced the opacity there, and now you see the image before you that I created. 

No comments:

Post a Comment